Thumb Sucker?

Are we going to have a thumb sucker in our family? Nick's been trying to find his thumb for weeks now, but the last few days he's been fairly successful. In a way I'd almost like it if Nick would find his thumb so that he would have something to appease himself with. On the flip-side, I don't really want the battle of getting him the quit sucking his thumb in a year from now. With a pacifier, you can just take it away (if I was only lucky enough that he would take a paci), but a thumb is always there. Still, Nick does like to try and find it during every waking minute of the day. So the question for all you moms of thumb-suckers...Should I try to discourage him from the thumb by moving it away when he's trying to get it into his mouth?

2 comments:

AmyJane said...

First off--great picture! You're skills are already showing up.
As for the thumb sucking....I'm strongly opposed to it, due to the inability to take it away. I had two sisters who were major thumb suckers and both had to break a wrist and be casted down the hand (my mom asked them to--why not take advantage of an accident?:)in order to break the habit. The rest of us were paci addicts but that habit was MUCH more easily and earlier broken. That said, I think some kids are just going to eb thumb suckers no matter how much you discourage it, so ultimately I think I'd do my best to keep him from it, but if it soothes him better than anything else and he seems determined, then you go with it eventually.

Haskell Fam said...

Hey Kelly! Amber gave me your blogsite and I was so excited so I could finally see your cute cute baby!! Well I am so happy that I can now keep up on you guys since we have yet to start building back up in Elk Ridge. And as for the thumb sucker, if it helps calm him down I say anything goes!