Nick had tubes put in his ears in March and by the end of May we realized that he was in that "1% that may still get ear infections after tubes" when both his ear drums ruptured. He was fairly miserable because I kept not going to the doctor...thinking it couldn't possibly be an ear infection. After two weeks, his ears finally cleared up and we were good for about a week or maybe two when Nick came down with the flu for two weeks. 
(None of us did much sleeping during the two weeks of Nick having the flu...we just let him sleep wherever he would crash. Most of the time he slept of the couch)
After two weeks and a two pound weight-loss, his doctor had him admitted to the hospital for a series of tests and some much-needed fluids. We checked in and Nick pretty much screamed from the moment we checked in, throughout the night, and well into the morning. When his doctor came to check on him at noon the next day he told us that he was actually going to release Nick due to the fact that he (Dr. Miller) had called the nurses station at 10:00pm and was told that Nick was screaming and he called at midnight and Nick was still screaming and he called at 4:30 am and Nick was still screaming...all the while I was pacing the pediatric floor with him (and my giant belly) to try to keep him somewhat appeased. At 5:00am the nurses took him on a 45 minute wagon-ride so that I could catch a quick nap before morning arrived. By noon he wasn't really showing signs of improvement, but we couldn't do another night in the hospital and Dr. Miller thought we should go home and try things for a day or two since Nick had been re-hydrated through IV's while he screamed all night.
When Nick's doctor released him he told us that they actually did find a few things of concern that could contribute to Nick having been an impossible baby for the last year and a half. I won't go into all the details, but the two temporary medications they have put him on have definitely helped him be more happy and content. The medicines are temporary until we can see a specialist on the 28th of July and then Nick will have a BIOPSY (scary word) of his esophagus on August 7th. Jeff likes to tell people that the name of what is wrong with Nick is the word elephant with some extra p's, s's, t's, & i's. It's a really long word!
When Nick's doctor released him he told us that they actually did find a few things of concern that could contribute to Nick having been an impossible baby for the last year and a half. I won't go into all the details, but the two temporary medications they have put him on have definitely helped him be more happy and content. The medicines are temporary until we can see a specialist on the 28th of July and then Nick will have a BIOPSY (scary word) of his esophagus on August 7th. Jeff likes to tell people that the name of what is wrong with Nick is the word elephant with some extra p's, s's, t's, & i's. It's a really long word!
So, that's the latest at our house. It is now the middle of July and I feel like summer is flying by. It is just now getting hot enough to go to the pool, June was super-cold and we actually wore pants quite a few of the days and even sweatshirts on some days. I hope the rest of the summer goes a little more smooth than the first part, but I don't anticipate it happening between the consults, our ward girl's camp, the biopsy, and then shortly thereafter we'll add another little one to our family!
3 comments:
Oh my gosh...you poor thing! I hope the rest of your summer takes a turn for the better!! When are you due again??
Oh my word!!! I just want to take him & let you get a full nights rest--you must be exhausted!! I hope the visit on the 28th delivers good news.
WHAT?? I am so sorry! I have just been catching up on peoples blogs. How is your little guy doing? and I still can't believe that you don't know what you are having. I am kinda jealous. I want to do that, but I am too impatient, and HATE surprises. How is Nick?
Post a Comment