Okay, so I'm now addicted to making homemade bread. I don't know if I will ever want to buy store-bought again (I might out of necessity, though). This recipe makes 4 loaves of bread, but you can make part of the recipe into loaves and the other part into just about whatever you want: Breadsticks, cinnamon rolls, pizza dough, scones, tortillas, butterflake rolls, soup bowls, french bread...use your imagination. This recipe is fool-proof, if I can make it so can you.
Homemade Bread Recipe
10 1/2 cups flour**
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 rounded tablespoons Saf-Instant Yeast (Macey's or Harmons)
3 tablespoons* liquid lecithin (health-food store)
4 cups hot tap water
Mix dry ingredients into mixer (Bosch works really well!) and mix for 1 minute. Check for consistency and add more water or flour if needed. Mix for 5 more minutes. Dump onto counter & shape 4 loaves. Spray pan and place loaves in pan. Let rise for 25 minutes & then bake for 25 minutes @ 350 degrees.
*Squeeze or pour out about 3 quarter-size amounts from bottle instead of measuring because lecithin is SO thick.
**For whole wheat bread, used only 3 cups of hot tap water and 1 cup applesauce. Mix for 10 minutes instead of 5.
4 comments:
okay I am totally retarded when it comes to cooking, but how do you do the butterflake rolls? those are the ones that break apart, right? They are my favorite, and I would love to make them.
Truly, I am a terrible cook but I love to do it anyways. Butterflake rolls are easy... Make the recipe & set aside three of the four loaves (or make 4 dozen rolls).
Roll out dough until about 1/4+" thick. Trim all four sides so it is a nice rectangle. Cut the rectangle into about 1 1/2" strips going the long way so that you have about 1 1/2"x12" strips. Pile five of the strips on top of each other making sure that when you stack at you match up evenly on one of the sides of the strips. Cut the stacked strips into about 3" section and place strips with "fan" showing in muffin tins without paper cups in them. Don't place the strips just layer on layer in the tins, you want to see the five strips going vertical. Spray with a shot of Pam, let rise 25 minutes and then bake. They don't take quite as much time as the loaves, maybe like 18 minutes. Hope this makes sense and I didn't leave anything out.
I'll have to try them. Thanks! They are my favorite.
Thanks for domestic advice. I'll be trying this! I've been working becoming more of a "homemaker" since I stopped working...it's not easy!!!
Post a Comment