I used to be one of those moms who looked at other moms and thought, "that kid is waaaayyy too old to still be breastfeeding." Okay, so Nick is 11 months old in 2 days and I've (half-heartedly) decided that it is time to get him eating baby food. I've tried for months to get him to take everything from rice cereal to pudding (healthy, I know). He hates it all! He won't take a bottle- doesn't matter what is in it-, doesn't like to take baby food from me (takes it pretty good for my mom when we visit her), and is totally disinterested in all things food except...the boob and Famous Amos cookies. I'm pretty sure a boy can't survive on Famous Amos alone, but I'm ready to wean. I've tried it all and I'm exhausted. He still wakes about 3 times a night and doesn't really soothe himself back to sleep. I'm sleep deprived, overweight, and constantly getting sick from not treating myself better. Nick, on the other hand, is not phased by my lack of sleep.
The solution: Jeff's going hunting in Wyoming next week for the week. I've enlisted the help of my mom for the whole week. She's coming up and we're going to get Nick weaned. Any suggestions? We need some tips on how to make this smooth for both Nick & I. So far all my efforts have been unsuccessful.
5 comments:
I am so sorry!! I have never had to deal with that problem- so I have no advice. Just hang in there, that little guy has got to get easier!! I am so glad that your mom is coming to help, you could us the reassurance through this.
By the way- LOVE the new background!!
Sorry, no help here. I just gradually ran out of milk when my kids were 7-8 months old, so they had no choice. My problem came in trying to get Trevin off a bottle. He would drink milk from a bottle but not from a cup. He would only drink water and juice from a cup. So I gave up and just fed him lots of yogurt and cheese. Like your new background by the way. Good luck and let us know if you need a break. I had a friend that had to just leave her baby with her mom for 3 or 4 days, eventually the baby ate but still wouldn't eat food around the mom.
Ugh! I took forever weaning Caden because of the same problem - he just doesn't eat! I just started a new routine instead of nursing - reading to him. It took a few days, but he was off nursing once he was used to it. As for getting nutrition, since he doesn't eat much, he's a drinker. To get his vitamins and minerals, I add Carnation to his milk (added protein, etc) and give him V8 Vusion, which has a serving of fruits and vegetables in each glass. I don't know if that helps...I hope you can figure out what works for you guys soon!
I really wish I had some expert bit of advice, but I don't. I only breastfed Colt for 2 months--selfish I know. I do have some regrets about that now.
That's exactly why I never nursed! I didn't want to have to go through all that. I like Hannah's idea though, it's worth a try. Good luck:)
Post a Comment